top of page
  • jennamayhew

Are you a Therapist Looking to Relocate? Your Guide to Visas and Licensing in Mexico.

As a team of immigrant therapists in Mexico, we understand both the thrill and challenge of moving to Mexico.

Degrees and registrations to practice as a therapist are long-fought and hard-earned. Then you move overseas and it can feel like starting all over again. Navigating the licensing and legal frameworks in Mexico can be nothing short of challenging. 

Due to the number of requests we receive of this nature we no longer provide individual consultations and cannot respond to individual enquiries. However we have compiled some information based on our experience which we hope can be helpful to you. 

Your Rights to Work in México - Working Visa 

Our understanding is that Mexico does not allow any business to be carried out in Mexico without a valid work visa. This can be gained via workplace sponsorship, temporary residency with a work permit or via permanent residency. Partner visas lead to temporary residency which does not automatically provide working rights. Family relationships lead to permanent residency which does provide working rights.

Your Rights to Practice Therapy in Mexico

Mexico’s Legal Framework 


In Mexico, psychologists are required to have a Cedula Profesional. The Cedula Profesional is a license that a number of professionals are required to have to practice, such as doctors, psychologists etc. This is issued by the Secretaría de Educación Pública, and while relatively straightforward for those who have trained in Mexico (requiring an undergraduate degree) it is more complicated for foreigners. It has two steps, 1) revalidating the degree from other countries, and then applying for the Cedula Professional using that revalidation. In our experience this process takes between 6 months and 2 years. You can read more here: 

Other Therapists 

We are not aware of any licensing boards or requirements for non-psychologist therapists. This does not mean that they do not exist but we have not come across them yet. 

Requirements from your Governing Board

Depending on the state and country you are registered in, and your profession, you may well have licensing requirements on your end that prohibit you from seeing clients out of state/country, or being out of state/country yourself. This seems to frequently be applicable to those registered in the USA. Questions about this are best directed to your governing board.

We hope this has been helpful and wish you the best of luck with your travels/relocation!

43 views0 comments


bottom of page